Feb 13: Broken hearts
It was yet another bitter-sweet goodbye. I was transferred again today to Sampaloc, Manila. It is back to the city. I feel I will really enjoy it though. My companion is Elder Thorne from Orem, Utah who is going home. I am a zone leader again and it is a smaller zone. We are in charge of two wards: a family ward and a single university ward.
After being notified of transfers, we went out to work yesterday and had an amazing day. Since arriving to Ternate, our branch has been struggling and we taught many investigators, re-activated a few members, tried to start up home-teaching, and saw no baptisms. It is a good thing I do not rate my success as a missionary by baptisms – I don't even know how many I have see baptized. But yesterday's happenings purged me of any possible regrets. Our big white atheist was not there so we left him the Plan of Salvation pamphlet. We started teaching Jack, the town drunk, again at his request. He still has alcohol problems, but this doing really well. As time passes and unselfish service is render, love grows. I told Jack that I love him and would miss him. He replied, "Let's not cry together about it". I gave him a CTR ring and he pledged to take care of it.
After visiting Salgado, a couple we have been teaching we happen to meet the younger brother, Marvin, on the road. He was not there when we taught earlier, although he was the best most interested in the family. I asked about his prayer to know the true and he answered, "Well actually, I prayed last night and felt something that I can explain." He recognized this as his answer and after visited his member friend, RJ who is a faithful young man and whose family we re-activated, and told him of his experience. Marvin is an amazing kid (18 yrs-old). In teaching the first principle and ordinances of the gospel, he explained that he just wanted to be ready for Christ's coming, to be clean. We also talked about the disadvantage of being a seaman because of the strain it puts on the family.
The most heart wrenching visit was to the Quezon family. Renato was the tricycle driver who got busy and almost returned the Book of Mormon, but then invited us back again after express our love and understanding for him and his family. We taught of eternal families and when leaving they began to cry. It ripped my heart out. Renato took us home that night where he mentioned that of all the missionaries that have driven with him he believes that God prepare me to take the gospel to them. I know I cannot take credit for that. I am only forever grateful that I was worthy enough to see such happiness enter their lives.
We also visited Gary and Solita, referrals we were teaching. Long story short, it was a great day and now I am happy to be service here in Manila. I know that as I humble seek the spirit's guidance, by working hard and being obedience, the Lord will lead me on.
I have not yet used those stories in any lessons, but will let you know when I do. I would love to hear how other ancestors joined the church.
0 Thoughts:
Add a thought