Nov 28: I am a missionary!
My new companion is great! Elder Bowman is his name from Santaquin, Utah. He is part Hispanic. Actually, Pres. LeSueur family helped his mother migrate to Utah. Natually he is new and quite, but I except him to be someone great. His father is actually not a member. He was baptized when he was 18 years-old.
Our area of Ternate is quite different from Dasmarinas. Most of the natives actually speak another dialect here called chibakano or someone like that. It is the equivalent to pigeon-English. I have been working here now for the last few weeks and have not yet gotten any investigators to come to church. Such I am sad about that but definitely not discouraged. We have actually been doing a lot of reactivation work to strengthen the branch here. Just last night we friendshipped the oldest inactive son of Pres. McCarte, our branch president, and he said he would come to church this week. I am also really working with the elder in my district to boost their morale and commitment to the work.
I feel like my mission is come to an end, and that really makes me sad but also I feel more the urgency to give it all now because the time is short. The time for my mission is at hand! I really feel so blessed with each area and companionship. My only true wish for my mission is to be able to say, "I have fought a good fight, and warred the battle of righteousness valiantly".
Father, I was so touched by your letter. Thank you. I am working so hard and this work is hard, but doable, because the Lord is on our side. Truly, I have developed lifelong friendships here on my mission, but more than that, I have committed myself to the service of the Lord more than ever that will last a lifetime. My little brother, Ben, this takes work, but if you go into it intending to give your all, you will not regret it. Nathan, you have always been such a great example to me encouraging me in virtuous things, continue to be an example wherever you are. Tyler, you are doing the Lord's great work now: raise a righteous family. That brings me such joy to know my brothers love and serve the Lord. And mother, the package is amazing. All the food arrived edible and delicious (after we scraped a bit of mold off the banana bread). I am following the order and have been sharing my gives with the other elders in the house. Thank you so much mother. The first time I cried on my mission was one night in Palawan thinking of you. It was not homesickness, but sheer gratitude. The song "Wing beneath my winds" came to mind. Everyone good thing that has come to my life can be traced my to those things my parents have been teaching me in words, example, and love. Elder Phillips is an elder I live with who found out at the age of 18 that he was not sealed to his family or to anyone. That is my greatest comfort and joy, knowing that if I remain faithful, we can still be a family in the next life.
Gloria, it was so sweet to see you, although I felt awkward and shocked. Thank you for everything. I look forward to being able to speak with you while everyone else does not know what we are talking about, not that I know what we would not want them to understand.
I am grateful to be able to focus again on my investigators, area, and branch, and also to be able to train again and help Elder Bowman start off his mission right, like all of my companions helped me do.
This is marvelous! This is joy! I know the Christ loves us and that I serve Him now as I share His gospel to others. Try it out again family. Share the gospel with someone and the please tell me about it.
0 Thoughts:
Add a thought