Jan 16: The power of love
I listened to a talk by Gordon B. Hinckley last night about the loneliness of leadership, the loneliness of not compromising one's standards. He talked about a young missionary who was struggling with loneliness, stress, heartache, and such. I have feeling that in difference ways. Pres. Hinckley said that we all feel that. Christ must have been the loneliest man in the world as he hung mocked on the cross. Then he talked about the joy of the spirit, the fruits of integrity and honestly. Right now I am reaping a portion of that.
Yesterday at district meeting, I got the most touching 8-page letter from the Ramos family. I did not remember any Ramos family I taught. It was so touching I wondered if it was really for me. The ward from which it was coming was not written on the envelope so throughout all my meeting I just had to wonder and fear that it might have been intended for another Elder Benson. I finally found mention of Elder Pagdilian and Ray, the elders that replaced me in Dasma. The letter was from Anni and Omi! We never used their last name because they were not yet married. They wrote to tell of the joy they have experience since accepting the gospel. There was a time that we almost lost hope for Omi. Amazingly the lesson that turned him around was the Word of Wisdom. They said they prayed that I could attend there baptism which was last December. I just now found out they were still progressing. The letter she wrote made me sound like a better person that I really am. Oh the joy to see someone's life change so much! I thank the Lord for letting me be apart of that.
This last week, we had more investigators attend church than any other week since I have been here. I have not yet see a baptism here accept for a beautiful family from another area. I am far from discouraged because I know that if I do may part God will do His and His is what really makes the difference. He loves us do much He will withhold His deliverance until we have learned that which is necessary. I worried that I would stop progressing at some point on my mission, but that has not happened. One of the investigators that came we just found the previous day, actually, the day before that when we was wasted by alcohol. We promised we would come back the next day so he would let us go and we had to keep our word. Because we are teaching the town radicals, Bro. Ramos, the rich 2nd councilor, commented that when we baptize all our investigators, the town will be a better place and people will not that our church must be a good place if it can change such people.
Jack came to church again but still drinks. Apparently, I offended him at church, because last night when we talked to him – drunk again – he said he was not coming to church again, because I made a mistake. He never told me what it was, but I have an idea. After spending some time trying to figure out his concern, I just resorted to giving him the truth straight out by teasing him a bit, telling him he cannot blame me for his drinking, and told him he would give us a snack when we returned. We left with good feelings. It is funny, but sometimes that is just how he needs to be handled. I never thought I could make such friends.
Back to Bro. Robles who came to church after the first lesson. He has only ever been to church 3 times in his life before last Sunday so he has much to learn about God's ways. We tried to get him to pray after teaching the Word of Wisdom, but he gave up. When we returned yesterday we taught him pray and after a lot of encouragement and patience, he got through a simple pray. He told us after that he almost gave up there, not being able to pray, but it amazed at our patience with him. A great member living near them also helped a lot. As long as he does not give up his life will change from black to white.
We rid tricycles a lot here. I don't know your understanding of a tricycle so I will try to describe it. It is a motorcycle with a sidecar that has a roof. In more rural areas there are no taxis, so this becomes the public transportation. I think it is genius, because it so much more fuel and space efficient. Well, naturally we talk to the driver every time we ride, and in the small town of Ternate, we get to know some of them really well. Renato Quezon is one that I saw to be different – giving free rides to old men walking on the side of the road. After several attempts of visiting his house they were never there, so we left a pamphlet about the Plan of Salvation. The next time we ride with him, he says his wife in now interested to hear us. So we teach him, come back a few time, but he is always so busy and tired that he has not yet read the Book of Mormon. Just last Monday, we find him there, but sleeping. After awaking he had to take his kids to school, so before he left we talked to him about his desire to listen and he attempted to return the book. We left it with the understanding that they did not want to continue but then saw him a bit later. With this last opportunity, I just told him that we understand he was busy and found it hard giving time to listen to our message, but in spite of that, we still love him and want him to try to read. He thanked us and said he will try to look for time. We rode with him again last night and he wants us to come back again on Saturday. He even offered to pick us up. I attribute this change to the power of love. Our love for him softened his heart for him to feel the spirit. I don't know what will come of him, but I don't I love him and want his family to find happiness amidst their poverty.
O how I love this work and how certain I am that I will thank the Lord each day that I was count worthy to bear His name in the service of God's children. Prayer has never been so important to me. I pray that you feel my love for you all.
0 Thoughts:
Add a thought