September 12, 2007

Sep 12: Strength from the call

This last week has been quite special. I have been working in my area a lot more because of zone leader's conference and zone conference so I have been with my companion more and with my own investigators. The focus of our mission has been very appropriate for the last few transfers. It's about "taking the wood out of lessons and missionaries". The word wood is used to describe the lifelessness, repetition, and insincerity happens when missionaries teach and find so much that they forget about the Real Teacher. Fortunately, this has not happened to me in any large degree, but I feel so much more power when I strive to teach people, and not just lessons.

In zone conference on Monday, it was touching to see that in the testimony portion of the meeting a few former companions of Elder Nobles, my current companion, stood to give there farewell tribute to him. They share what they learned from him and how much they admired him. This was a blessing to me as well because it really helped me love my companion even more. After zone conference, I asked for a Priesthood blessing at the hand of my dear mission president, President LeSueur. He counseled me for a while before he gave the blessing and the truths I learned at that time will influence me for the rest of my life. As he blessed, I did not need to question whether it was from him. He blessed my family, you all, through me and I really felt the power of God descending upon me. I never mention my slight worry about education, so while he was giving me the blessing I needed, I also desired direction concerning school. The next sentence was the answer to my heart's request. He reassured me that school would come as well as other things that I soon forgot. I am not upset that I did not write them down because I am sure the Lord will remind me as I need it.

A result of the blessing was that we were on of the last to leave. The Worley's, the senior couple that served in Palawan and later because the apartment couple, were waiting for their replacement vehicle because the muffler fell off the previous night, so as we left we told them that if they saw us to pick us up because they live in our zone. After waiting for a bus that does to Dasmarinas for more than a half an hour, we texted them. There was no response, so we decided to take two rides. While on the bus, the finally replied so we decided to wait for them at the end of the bus route. Unfortunately, the bus dropped us off at the Mall of Asia, only the biggest mall in the Philippines. This naturally was forbidden area so we took pictures and waited for them. We got stuck in traffic on the way home and by the time we arrived at the apartment, I had to admit that I was sick. It spite of my slight fever, we worked and has a good day. Then yesterday, I had an interesting exchange with Elder Frias. The point of the exchange is to teach the missionaries, but he did not seem too eager to apply the things I was trying to show him. Subsequently, that night he got pretty down claiming that he needed to work on everything. Of course we all can still improve so I tried to help him focus on a few areas and set goals. His sadness seemed to render him unwilling to cooperate. I don't know if the Lord was trying to humble him or if I just did not handle the situation correctly, but either way I felt bad. He went to bed early last night.

My illness still has not disappeared, but I hope it will soon. I am not sure if the Lord is giving me strength until some point we he no longer expects me to work. I feel the Lord's strength and recognize that this is His work. I am grateful to be apart of it and so very grateful that my little brother, Ben, is not preparing to serve the Lord too.

0 Thoughts:

Add a thought