Oct 3: Death in bloom
The reality of the brevity of life is setting in as I watch my companion die. It takes me back over the last few months from when I first met him. The entire transfer procedure was change so that missionaries no longer know who there companion is until we all met together. I could have just checked the email accounts of the other zone leaders but did not afford myself any special privileges. If my zone must wait to know, then so will I. At transfers I met him. His appearance was one of a noble missionary and his excitement was easily seen on his face. Upon arrive to his new apartment that day, we knelt in prayer to petition our Father for help in our area and zone. The days quickly passed and with eyes clouded with pride, I issued some bias judgments that left wounds and walls far and depth and that took me too long to see. But trusting in my Father, I prayed. Although I was part of the problem, God's mercy was granted and a companionship riddles will silence and garnished with awkwardness bloomed into something beautiful, full of love. What once was my heaviest trial this last couple transfer now became my biggest success. And what sadness it brings as I watch him die, for in a few days now his identity will be stripped from him; he will lose his great mantel; he will go home. This is not the death of a martyr, but of a victor. And the soldiers fight on.
A month or so ago, we baptized Jayson and Mary Ann. We will soon baptize their mother and younger brother, thus completing the family. Many of our other investigators mentions previously have had problems and since stopped progressing, but we are teaching this meek man named Bro. or Tatay Molina. My companions first found him drunk while I was on exchanges. They had not had any new investigators that day so taught Bro. Molina in spite of this hindrance to the spirit. He prayed in the closing pray saying "I never realized that these are Thine servants" yet still drunk. They wonder if he could and really was feeling the spirit. The next day when I was back, we taught him an amazing lesson about the restoration. Just after he started he asked where the church was. Smoking and drinking was a difficulty for him. Then just before he was going to come to church for the first time, he return to the country because of a death. A few weeks later, he return, is now coming to church, and is doing amazing. His family is a mix of difference religions. He is a simple cheerful man with much faith. The story is not yet over. Because of his weak memory, he sometimes forgets and smoking is evil. I love him anyway and know he will soon overcome that.
I love my mission. The though of going home makes me sad, but I also love you all so much and look forward to seeing you someday, expect for Ben. I don't want to see you when I get home⦠I mean I want to see you but would rather you be dressed up in some land afar. Peace.
0 Thoughts:
Add a thought