July 08, 2005

Why is the sky blue?

It is not blue because of the ocean. The sky is still blue in the Sahara desert.

Saying that the sky is blue because blue has the shortest way length does not suffice. In fact, blue does not have the shortest way length. It is in the middle of the spectrum. Red has the shortest frequency for visible light, with inferred light just under that, while purple/violet has the longest wavelength and shortest frequency, thus ultraviolet is just above that one.

The reason the sky is blue is because all the air molecules refract blue light while letting the rest of the light go through. These means that the air scatters the blue light in all directions so from any direction, one can see blue light from the sky. Clouds are white because they are made up of all sizes of molecules so it refracts all frequencies of light. So, it comes down to the atomic properties of the molecules in the air.

On really smokey days, the sunset in more red or when there is more humidity in the air the sunset looks different. The color differences are amplified during sunset because the light is passing through more of the atmosphere, thus most of the blue light is scattered letting the reds and purples through at different degrees.

The sun looks whitish yellow because it emits so much light that almost all the light get through. Some blue does not so it gets a yellow tint to it.

It can all be explained on the atomic level with different substances absorbing and emitting different frequencies of light. Everything is constantly emitting light waves, in addition to relaying and refracting light. However, most the time the substance does not have enough energy for it to emit light with a low enough frequency that we can see. This is how a tungsten light bulb works. The electricity heats up the metal so much that in now has enough energy to emit light that people can see.

I am sure there are not too many people in the world the really care that much about light, and the the freaking sky really is blue. I just happened to learn it on my road of life and this was the perfect opportunity to record it. I am not sure if this is 100% accurate, but that can easily be determined with a quick search on the internet.

Knowledge is power, which just happens to be difficult to use sometimes.

4 Thoughts:

At 11:13 AM, July 07, 2005, Blogger Kelsey added...

you're nuts!! just thought I'd tell ya that.

At 11:25 AM, July 07, 2005, Blogger E.Marie added...

I already gave an answer. the sky is blue because it is my favourite colour so i can see it everytime i look up. That is the only logical reason.

At 4:36 PM, July 07, 2005, Blogger Su Chong added...

Nah, we already knew that Justin's a nut..don't need no science to prove that =) Loi pe ia

"And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come." -D&C 130:19-

"Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them." -D&C 132:20-

Yup, no doubt Justin's sky will be blue in his world...the colors in my world will probably come out all wrong..hehe..I've got a lot of reading to catch up on =P

PS. I like how E spelled "colour" with a "u"..hehe..I used to spell like that too ;-)

At 7:02 AM, July 08, 2005, Blogger Su Chong added...

WOW! Looks like we found ourselves another nut! hehehe...makes us miss you even more, Mike ;-)

So uh..should I be taking notes on this?? After reading all this, I already feel 10 times smarted than I did before! (key word: "feel")..does that count? =)

Add a thought