Bite me doggie
So just a little while ago, I was walking along the streets here by Liahona and I saw someone I knew from school. I had the evening all to myself so I talked for a bit. Let me just tell you, dating in Tonga is a different animal.
I asked her about dating, more specifically dating for fun, and she said that dating for fun is like being a player. That is not cool. I believe in dating for fun as well as dating seriously. In fact, I think too many people date seriously too often. I asked because I wanted to go on a couple of dates while I was here. I am not sure if I am going to now. We shall see.
In any event, we finished talking and I was going to finish my stroll then go home. I started walking up the road so I could loop around to the main road. She told me not to go that way. "The dogs will bite you", she skeptically explained. "Well, if you see me come back this way, you know I got scared", I casually replied.
I was not too worried at first because when I had come that way earlier there really weren't many dogs. However, not a hundred meters up the street sat half a dozen rowdy dogs.
This is the point in the story where the end is basically decided. Now I have been working on increasing my faith lately by a helpful recommendation of a close friend, and I figured that this would be a good time to trust in the Lord. So I silently asked that if I went down this simple road, would I be safe. I felt the spirit and I went. I did pick up a stick though.
I calmly walked up the street and got closer to the dogs to find that there were more than I thought there would be. I did feel a bit nervous but I held on to that trust I had in the Lord. This worry proved to be useless as I passed the dogs.
While thinking back upon the experience, I realized that I did not ask for a miracle. I simple asked if I would be safe. I got my answer and push forth with trust. This my no means was anything bigger than a man walking by a bunch of dogs unharmed. However, I do believe that the Lord should be present in our lives more than he is and asking him for small things like this and listening for the spirit to confirm it is just fine. In fact, it is good because it builds gratitude and teaches one to lean upon the Lord more, which is not a bad thing.
I forget what virtue I need to work on next week, but perhaps I will share it. Only time will tell.
8 Thoughts:
Lol, Justin already trying to get some dates in. That was an awesome experience you related. It's always awesome to sit back and reflect on faith-building experiences. I hope you're having fun in Tonga dude, email me sometime.
Faka oli =) especially about the dates..hehe..good luck with that!
hey just! that's great that you're having fun in tonga. keep in touch!
That's a good story hun! Glad to hear you're doing well. *hugs*
it is nice to hear you're alive. I need to email i know, that's what friends do, i'll start i promise.
just a quick note. I never even thought of asking God about such a small thing.
Exactly what I have been working on Capt. I don't ask Him or turn towards him enough.
"I Need Thee Every Hour."
"Pray always that ye may come off conqueror."
This is what I am working out and Tonga has given me the enviornment and the structure to do it. I have really needed some personal changes in my life with respect to thing as simple as this.
you gotta go through trials. not everything you pray for happens. thats when yu have to realize what you were praying for was not right or there was a different answer.
awesome experience man i have a friend who would of been scared out of her wits because of that.
D&C 10:5 and a hymn--good man!
Sister C.
Add a thought