March 02, 2005

Sweet nothings in my ear

Music is an one thing that our brains can not use words to think about. Sure it can be described with words but never replicated with them. Its the tone. Even when speaking, tone makes a difference. Heck, in some languages the same word yet a different tone changes the entire meaning. For instance: I am learning to say "Kiss me" in Chinese. Don't ask me why, it was just all I was taught. However, it took me forever to get the word 'kiss' right because of the tone. I kept saying 'Ask me'. Not really the desired effect, especially when I tried it out. Don't ask about that one either.

So about music, it is truly astounding. A number of people were singing by the auditorium earlier tonight. They sang songs, wonderful songs. Not to go into great detain because of that is boring. Too late.

I have a number of friends that have blogs and most of them have a hint of music in them while the rest allude to it. Just to name a few: Amanda randomly publishes her song of the day for everyone to enjoy, E lives as if she is in some musically (which is something I find cool), Jolley might as well be a song, Faye has a song playing every time you go to her blog, Jared writes about how he cannot make music with his voice (with a hint of pining) or at least should not, Judge always has a song going though is head whether by though or headphone and he even occasionally share cool lyrics with everyone, Kelsey gives a song here or there but more often dances though life as if by music, my Miss Flame partakes of a sappy song regularly, Rachael writes poems about songs and singing, Vasu boldly declares his music and even posts lyrics of flashy songs, and Mike... likes ellipsis'... and is the main music representative (and trance man, bad or g... yeah). As of late, he has been publishing a number of good songs. Not only publishing them, but going out of his way to link grand songs with grand people. Bored yet?

So, I guess what I am trying to say is... in a rather round about way - some would call it circumlocution - is that I think Newton was wrong about gravity. No wait wrong text file. I think music is important to us all. Some sing; some write; some listen; some should not. I listen and savor the sound.

7 Thoughts:

At 7:59 AM, March 02, 2005, Blogger Amanda/Mandie added...

Interesting that you should write a blog about the thing I'm writing my senior paper on. Music. How can people deny the power it holds in life? *bows* Justin... thank you for pointing out the obvious (not a sarcastic remark there)and reminding us of how music penetrates our lives daily. I concur. And I need to put up a new song of the day huh? :/

At 7:19 AM, March 03, 2005, Blogger Fei added...

Music isn't just a beautiful language: it's truth.

At 5:25 PM, March 03, 2005, Blogger E.Marie added...

A musical aye. If only everyone else knew the words to the songs and the dance steps. hehe thanks for that I think maybe i do sometimes. But it is fun. Yes music is a very important part in everyone i think you just cant live for real without it touching you in someway.

At 7:22 AM, March 04, 2005, Blogger Judge of the Whetten's added...

Music is the short hand for emotion. Music expresses that which canot be said onwhich it is impossible to be silent.A painter paints pictures on canvas but musicans paint pictures on slience; Music can name the un-nameable and communicate the unknowable. In the end I feel that music is humantiys only saving grace, well that and Christ.

At 9:16 AM, March 04, 2005, Blogger a man from Saipan added...

Well put. I just got a music on-the-go gadget. More music for me.

At 10:32 AM, March 04, 2005, Blogger Kelsey added...

interesting to think about tone. it makes some things sentences and others statements. Music makes some things attractive and others annoying.
It's also interesting what voices you enjoy listening to, not just singing but reciting or reading or just conversing. the only bad part is that sometimes you (meaning me when i'm tired) zone out of the meaning behind all the words and listen only to the beautiful sounds.

At 10:13 AM, March 05, 2005, Blogger a man from Saipan added...

I don't think you have to defend yourself Mike, but if it feels good, do it.

Add a thought