January 19, 2005

Ignorance is bliss

I say this because I believe it again. I used to say it all the time and really mean it, but then I realized that ignorance is not all that cool. So I stopped believing this, because it was overrated. Then I discovered that ignorance is not the the overrated culprit, it was bliss. Thus, ignorance is bliss.

Don't get me wrong, bliss is nice and all, but is it really helping anyone? Some people would say that being high (referring to drugs) is nice - I disagree. Bliss is not what it is cut out to be. If I was to create some logical links I would say that bliss cleaves to instant-gratification and instant-gratification cleaves to selfishness.

I hate selfishness (not to say I am immune or anything).

In any event, I have not fully worked out the logic behind bliss, however, it has few benefits. Just figured that this is worthy to thing about.

7 Thoughts:

At 5:20 AM, January 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous added...

I wish I could be ignorant sometimes. It always seems that the more one thinks the more depressed one gets, at least if one is thinking in social context. This makes me think that my major will cause much pain because I will be more prone to overanalyse people and their actions more than I already do. But at least I won't be ignorant and hopefully once I learn more on how to analyse it will not cause evil emotions.
Bliss...I agree. Bliss is not joy. The conotations that come with bliss are such that bliss is related to laziness and that is never joy. Service is joy. Learning is joy. Kindness is joy. Just a few things for me to work on.
Bliss is good at night in dreams. 
Voiced by capt caf

At 9:53 AM, January 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous added...

HEHE yea ignorance. I do like using erikas mac sometimes but i just enjoy PCs more because it is what im used to and know the most about. I can do tonns more on a pc then i can do on a Mac. But if you want to try and give me advice on macs go for it. Ignorance is not always best maybe i dont know enough so i dont want one. so preach away I promise i will listen.  
Voiced by E

At 6:22 PM, January 24, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous added...

Well... I've always been a big promoter of becoming educated, and at the same time, I don't feel that ignorance is a decent excuse. I can understand that there are people who don't care enough, but I still don't think that's a decent excuse. There are times when people try to use ignorance to take advantage of others, and then there is manipulation, in addition to bliss.

Onto the topic of bliss, when I read your post I became very confused because of the phrase "...wedded bliss." Does that mean that that sentiment is only temporary? That it is only an instant gratification wedding? Personally, I don't have an answer because I am not familiar enough with the etymology of "bliss."

Help anyone? 
Voiced by Mandie

At 1:03 PM, January 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous added...

I am sometimes guilty of using bliss to manipulate however honorable my intentions are. I too don't understand the phrase "wedded bliss" nor did I find it in the other posts. It is an interesting idea though. 
Voiced by a man from Saipan

At 7:35 PM, January 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous added...

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't bliss like paradise or nirvana (that's most likely misspelled). I guess I'm having issues of semantics. Ignorance is bliss only if one does not know he/she is ignorant. Bliss I think (as we seem to be using it here) is mind dulling. I get the image of stoners hanging out telling crappy jokes and setting themselves on fire. When we are happy and know not that cause I think this is a very bad thing. Because we tend not to try and find the reason till it is gone. Our sense become dull and we get weak. We become easier targets for conmen and other fools. Happiness is only worth feeling when one works for it. Call me a bit of a Marxist if you will, but I think we can only get joy by way of our efforts. 
Voiced by Judge Whetten

At 10:10 AM, January 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous added...

Judge I'm not gonna call you anything but I'd like to concure..i think that's how it's spelled, anyways, I agree with having to work for it all. doesn't is say joy involves work somewhere in the scriptures? 
Voiced by capt caf

At 12:47 PM, January 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous added...

"Jacob 5: 71
And the Lord of the vineyard said unto them: Go to, and labor in the vineyard, with your might. For behold, this is the last time that I shall nourish my vineyard; for the end is nigh at hand, and the season speedily cometh; and if ye labor with your might with me ye shall have joy in the fruit which I shall lay up unto myself against the time which will soon come."

Is that what you were looking for? 
Voiced by Blink Fandango

Add a thought