Trying not to think to hard
So I was thinking - even during vacation do I stimulate my mind - people think differently. This can easily be said when comparing different cultures.
For example, the missionaries and the single adults were playing volleyball at the church today, so I went to pick up one of my islander friends at their house today to see if they wanted to come. I knew they were not doing much so they would be more than happy to come. Well, they said they wanted to come, but the brother did not act like it. He showed this by his timeliness. When I got there at 8:35 AM he was still sleeping and his sister had just woken up, which is fine because they did not know I was coming. He woke up and told me to sit down. So, I sat for a bit waiting while he walked around the house looking slightly busy doing nothing of consequence. I then went outside to wait for him so he knew I did not just want to blow time. He finally came out after a while with his hair slicked back looking rather tidy. I just got up put on some clothes and grabbed some yogurt packs (5 minutes, 10 max). He got up put on some clothes and did his hair (30 minutes, maybe 40). He does not care about my time at all. As if there is nothing wrong with waiting for him all day.
The irritating thing is that he does this almost every time. “Hey bro, I am going to come by around 6:30 Friday night to pick you up so we can do something”. You show up and he takes a shower or something.
The point I am trying to make is that I just do not understand him sometimes. I have spent most my life in the islands and I still do not understand islanders. I understand that islanders have a different time schedule, but that is not the reason because his sister respects other people's time more. In fact, the sister says that she does not understand this strange carelessness.
People just think differently. This is a cultural comparison. There are many other examples of thinking different that have nothing to do with culture.
But I will save that for another time and leave it at this.
9 Thoughts:
that's not a culture thing really hun. some ppl just really don't care about time or have a weird concept of it. my cousins seriously don't live in the same time frame as the rest of the world. they say they're coming thru town and need a place to sleep, so they leave hours later than they should've and thus show up at like 1am slightly surprised no one is awake to greet them. very odd ppl. those kine ppl bug me too.
Voiced by capt caf
hehe you spelt my name wrong on the link. nanananah, and glory stealer thats not fair if i was still in New Zealand I wouldve beaten you. any way time time time, people are procrastinators to the very end. thats all i got to say for now.
Voiced by Elspeth
It's a nice place to find out what Justy is thinking.
Voiced by Dad
Interesting to have a dad post on this blog.
Voiced by a man from Saipan
I know the feeling Justin. I'm a big fan of punctuality, while I'm not always perfect I do try my best to be on time and it annoys me when other people just disregard it. Time is precious and some people just don't understand that. My Mum once said that if we got $86400 every day to spend for that day only then we would definitely spend it. Yet, we get 86400 seconds which is more precious than money and we waste it all. I think people should be more concious of the way they spend their time and more importantly other people's time. Maybe it is culture, maybe it's just plain laziness, but whatever it is they probably aren't going to change unless something drastic happens. Maybe next time try just leaving without him and maybe he'll get the hint. Sounds harsh, but I can't think of anything else right now - my head is too full of math.
And Stuff,
~Vasu~
Voiced by Blink Fandango
It took a different road then intended, but that is fine. I don't like being tardy, although many people say it happens to me quite a bit. I also agree with Vasu in that time is valuable.
By the way, who is Justin?
Voiced by a man from Saipan
Justin? He's no one special, just a man from Saipan =).
Voiced by Blink Fandango
Just barely read that last one and I'd like to disagree, he's not any man from Saipan. I've met a few and I like him best.
Voiced by capt caf
Lol, I was being sarcastic capt caf.
Voiced by Blink Fandango
Add a thought