January 26, 2005

I'll think about thinking

Thinking is something that everyone does. I would not consider it a bad thing. However, sometimes I hear it said that I or someone else thinks too much. Is this a bad thing because I have not been able to figure out the balance between thinking too much and not enough.

Every time someone thinks they use paths on their brain and develop new ones. That is why practice is almost a guaranteed method for learning (maybe not the best or fastest). The more a person does something the easier it is to repeat it, like a habit or a reaction. They get that path worn down so it is nice and comfortable. They keep walking the same path to get where they want. This is way creativity, viewing other perspectives, and thinking outside of the box is difficult to learn. It is counterintuitive. It has to be maintained.

This explains a bit of why we act the way we do... because we are comfortable with the path we have chosen. We may not like things that we do and we may want to change them, but this thing is hard to change. Like learning to write with you left hard (assuming you are normal and write with you right hand). It is worth the change though because one is stronger because of it. If we get so we can take any mental path, then we have really learned to master our minds. Something I think only one did do in this life.

I think I have gotten pretty good at looking at things from different perspectives. I've not mastered it though. In addition, this is only a small task. I have not perfected this art and it is only one lesson in the entire discipline of self-mastery. By self-mastery I mean: having complete command over one's self, resisting and overcoming the simplest carnal desires (thinking the easy way is one example), or even producing a state of mind where the conscious and the subconscious are in agreement.

I think this is a deep word. All in all, it is a noble goal - one that I am striving for. Life always seems to get in the way though, or maybe it is just me getting in the way. I don't know, yet.

4 Thoughts:

At 6:39 AM, January 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous added...

I think that you start thinking too much when you stop doing. Without action then thinking is useless. Even inaction can be the result of thinking if one thinks that inaction is the most appropriate form of action. I don't see a problem with thinking too much unless your thinking does not lead you to a course of action, or at least a desired course of action, because let's face it - nothing ever turns out the way we plan and every once in a while we have to be prepared for speed bumps along the way.

Just a question, why do you think learning to write with your left hand would be worth the change? Personally I think being able to kick with my left foot would be more rewarding, although at times I do wish my left arm were a bit stronger.

I think learning self-mastery is a very noble goal, one that we should all strive for. I'm not sure what it is that gets in the way, but I think that once it's no longer in the way it is then that you've truly learned self-mastery.

And Stuff,
~Vasu~ 
Voiced by Blink Fandango

At 8:33 AM, January 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous added...

You say life is getting in the way. When really to me it's just the weight that we are supposed to lift to get stronger. Let me try and explain it better. There would be no issues with self mastery if you didn't have to do it all the time. Also life is what gives us the trials that tempt us into the place that we do not wish to be. We have a golden chance living in this age of sin and corruption. Think of the world like a gym. People have mastered so many trials and ways of trying to deceive us. If we work hard at it we can become stronger then we could in any other age.  
Voiced by Judge Of the Whettens

At 12:44 PM, January 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous added...

I think Judge is the only person I know who can make the "world is like a gym" be profound. I like the thing about the golden chance, overcoming harsher trials make us much, much stronger. And we are strong enough to overcome them or we would not be on the Earth at this time, we just have to believe that we are.

And Stuff,
~Vasu~ 
Voiced by Blink Fandango

At 3:13 AM, January 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous added...

Agreed, we can't block out all the trials etc that make self mastery hard because that's what this life is for but we can eliminate some if our desires change. Once our desires change things that were once temptations no longer are.
The expression "Just thinkin' too much" in the way that I use it should acctually be said thus: "I'm overanalyzing and in the process destroying all hope." Hope for what? that depends what I was analyzing. 
Voiced by capt caf

Add a thought