August 02, 2005

I should have burned

The beginning of August and no manifestations; I am waiting.

The Tongans are irate. The government is not giving them a fair salary in their eyes and they are now on strike. In truth, they have been on strike for a week. Some of the interns have not been able to work a couple of the days. It seems peaceful but their are threats. Threats to burn the Crown Prince's house down (it is very nice); threats to close every store, even threats to shut down the airport.

I personally have not been directly affected yet. However, this is the biggest thing that has hit Tonga since toilet paper. Almost every government office is closed. Everyday, the the strikers meet and sit and talk and eat. They have a committee to represent their interests that has yet to make any agreements with the government. Even many of the government schools are closed.

I almost like it but peace is what's right. I think I am getting sick again, but I will ignore it until I am certain it has completely grasped me.

9 Thoughts:

At 11:01 PM, August 01, 2005, Blogger Shaleen added...

Wow, what an experience to go through! As for possibly being sick, don't ignore it. If you do, chances are it'll get worse before getting better and it'd be best to stop it before then.

At 12:12 AM, August 02, 2005, Blogger Davey From The Block added...

Dude! I finally found your blog. I seriously thought that you didn't have one. For some reason it's hard to get access to or something..? Maybe I'm just dumb.

-Dave

At 5:00 AM, August 02, 2005, Blogger E.Marie added...

woooo strikes. My dads company is going on strike in a couple of weeks. it gets kind of hetic happened a few years ago. drink lots of water cause being sick sucks. laters E

At 10:43 AM, August 02, 2005, Blogger Kelsey added...

my mum's dad used to go on strike once every few years. my dad has never had to go on strike. I hope the airport doesn't strike though. then everyone would be stuck there. heheheh. it'd be a great party for you but i'd miss you if you're not back in hawaii when i get back.

At 4:27 PM, August 02, 2005, Blogger a man from Saipan added...

I agree. I really enjoy myself here in Tonga, but I am really looking forward to returning and seeing everyone back at Hawaii.

At 11:19 PM, August 02, 2005, Blogger Davey From The Block added...

Sadly, not everyone will be back ;(
(That's a chineese sad face)

At 6:25 AM, August 03, 2005, Blogger E.Marie added...

dont worry i will be back the strike happens after i leave and it is only Northwest going on strike. it is all over the news in MN right now cause thats there hub lots of overtime for dad though.
I cant wait to see everyone or atleast who is still going to be around.
ohh forgot to mention interesting piece of writing just below this.
laters

At 8:35 AM, August 03, 2005, Blogger Su Chong added...

Hey! The Chinese is offended!!

Utard!! =P`

yeah, and you spelled Chinese wrong!

At 11:39 PM, August 03, 2005, Blogger Davey From The Block added...

Sue,

I still love you. And sorry I spelled Chinese wrong. My english skills are somewhat lacking (so are my Chinese skills). You'll be a Utard too soon, so don't go throwing that word around too willy-nilly!

-Davey

Add a thought