10th dance and still rocking!
That is right, I have been to 10 dances in a little over 3 weeks. My previous report of only 5 dances was incorrect, plus I have since attended a couple more. In fact, I will probably go to a dance tonight and tomorrow. That will boost my weekly average to almost 4 dances a week.
The dances here are unlike other places I have been. As far as time goes, the dances are only Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday, and they are almost always from 9:00 till 11:00 PM. They don't have church dances on Monday because of FHE, on Sunday it would be a sin, and on Saturday it is illegal or something because this is a religious nation; Saturday is to prepare for Sunday (what an idea). The king is the head of the church of Tonga so it is kind of cool that nothing is open on Sunday and other stuff like that.
For location, every dance that I have been to has been in the outside basketball/tennis court of the chapel. Unlike sinister dances in Hawaii and other places, the dances here are fully lit. It is kind of weird at first, but it make much more sense. It is much more enjoyable when you see everyone else dancing like a goober too. The music in a mix between slow songs and reggae island music. Not bad for rocken' out, although I do not get as sweaty, which is also a good thing, because the beat is not as fast as I would usually like for a power song.
Another perk is that the women can't say 'No'! Everyone will look at them or push them onto the dance floor before they even try. All you have to do is go up to them, make eye contact so there is no confusion, and bow to them. In fact, you don't even have to go up to them. If you make eye contact and bow or get your signal across some other way, they will still dance with you. It is great for those guys that don't like to talk because they don't have to talk and they can still get the prettiest girl on the dance floor. I personal go for the fun girls, but looks is a notable quality. Oh also, every dance is a partner dance. There is not this flaky group jumping thing that happens in some places. And at the end of almost every song it fades our completely so you don't get stuck dancing with a cow. One can just say thanks and walk off. That is what most people do at the end of every song, just walk off. I always try to add the thanks in there.
Many of the dances are white shirt and tie and modest dresses so it keeps out most of the freaks. This and the lighting creates a nice atmosphere for fun, not promiscuity. This is a good thing. No dirty dancing. I hate it! I have good friends that surprise me sometimes with the way they dance and it is not a pleasant surprise. Dirty dancing is like taking a great game like ping pong, but instead of playing like you normally do, you play with a rock. That is right, is completely sucks. It just kills the game. It is like watching a movie where the audio is a second off from the video; absolutely painful. Well, maybe not like the movie thing, but you get the idea.
In any event, I like the dances here much better than other places. They rock even though they don't play rock. I can cope. There are a couple of lesser qualities. Like some people don't like the white shirt and tie thing, but not all the dances require them. I sometimes don't like the tie deal, but it ain't a noose or anything. Also, near the end of the dance, they halt the music and give some Tongan guy (everyone here is Tongan by the way) the microphone in which he gives some sort of talk that I never understand because I don't speak Tongan. I am trying but it is coming way way way slow. Most people can communicate in english well enough. So, those are the downsides unless you want to count that 'can't say no' thing as a negative for the girls, but I would not even though guys sometimes get stuck with bold women that happens to ask them.
Thus end my discourse on the dances here and I did not even explain my part in them. Well, I am in the middle of the dance for every, freaking song, with a new girl every song, fluttering, swinging, rocking, flailing, and boogying like a madman. I have so much fun doing it too. It sometimes draws quite a bit of attention.
3 Thoughts:
you are freakin hilarious! thats all i have to say.
And yet, I know not why.
Haha,
Hey, don't knock group jumping. That is the funnest part of dances. Gotta hit up all the peeps for some love right?
-Dave
Add a thought