A needy man
I am not really a needy man. I am quite independent and self-sufficient. In spite of myself, I still do crave social interaction. It might very well be a fundamental motivation for many people. I delight is enthralling conversations with mutual interest from both parties. Conversations like these don't occur too often in my experience. However, many times it is the other person that meaningfully adds to the success of the discussion.
Now before I go on, let me just say that I understand that some people have a hard time accepting me and my age. I have interacted with many people on a personal level in my life and I have just come across some people that can't ignore my age. Oddly enough, my age is almost sensitive to me. I understand I am young for the situation I am in, but I don't care. I carry on as if I am as old as everyone else. Almost my entire life, I have related with people older than me. I was always the youngest in my class and I almost always had older friends (I make no remake about my maturity, I leave it up to others to judge that characteristic). I don't care about age. Actually, I hate it. It has been a limit that I have been contending with almost my entire life.
To return to the topic, I shall put these two ideas together and share a story. I know I am younger than most in my predicament. I know many people have a hard time giving younger folks a chance to earn some respect or at least keep it. I am here with a number of other interns that are all in the last year of college if not done already. Thus, they are older than myself.
I have the darnedest time having conversations with them. They are joking and laughing together all getting along, and my place is the corner puzzle piece that does much for the puzzle, but nothing for the actually picture. It has really tested my patience. So the other male intern is cool. We talk quite a bit and get along well, now. The girls are something though. Let me just say that I should start working on improving my attitude with them. It could be better; my actions have not really deteriorate, just the attitude.
It is not as bad as it sounds. Well, sometimes it is pretty asinine. I live and carry on. I read more now too, which is certainly not bad.
5 Thoughts:
Don't worry kiddo. Your problem of being the youngest will be obsolete before you know it!
Sis. C.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears -Anonymous-
Hey, I've got a great idea on how to overcome the age gap problem but it might not make as much sense to you now. I'll tell you when you're older.
*Gasp* Su! How not nice! ^_^ Monkey Boy (I do say the name lovingly mind you.) I'm sorry that that aspect is difficult, but, truly, you shouldn't have to change yourself too much. Just be you, if they can't accept the fact that you're younger it's their loss, not yours. You are an absolutely awesome person with a lot to offer. Age makes no difference whatsoever. *hugs*
The dillema is that everyone else ages as fast as myself. No, I don't want to grow up; I just want it not to matter.
Thank you all. Yes, even you Su... because I laughed. Although, it was a laugh of pain.
Ummm...Su....you are MEAN girl. borderline Jerkish. Well, anyway. I don't envy you because you have to come to this desert hole and go to school with 30,000 houlees (sp?)! Well, now you know my opinion on that.
Anyway, Justin, isn't it funny that all the people who are away from Hawaii feel a need to return. All of us feel it in our own way, but some how, we just do not fit in out here. It's strange. I wonder if that is going to be our perdicament for the rest of our lives. If not, for how long? Is Hawaii a mental "drug" that hooks you on the first dose? To me I'm afraid it has. But...alas, I am returning, so, at least for now, my rehab does not have to start.
Take Heart Bro,
Dave
Add a thought