A given problem
Suto is the way to go; the way to go in Tonga. All the roads are only a single lane each way, at least. Many are even less than that supposed standard.
This is the way I like it though. There is not really a need for highways, freeways and all that jazz. The speed limit is slower, but it does not necessarily mean one has to go slower. Many drivers speed, daringly passing cars.
Suto is hitchhiking. Some places it would be unwise or even idiotic to hitchhike. In Tonga, the people are safe and trusting so there are not problems. I can get to work on the reliability of suto.
The process of getting a ride is much different than the typical thumbs up approach. No thumb is needed. It requires a gracefully semi-karate-chop combined with a quasi-wave. I am a little insecure with my technique, but I still manage to get picked up. I go to a dance pretty far away at 10:00 at night and the first truck I wave down takes me all the way to the dance. It was even out of their way. Every thing I tell them to take me as far as they are going, they take me all the way home.
Another affirmation of the quality of Tonga.
7 Thoughts:
What a great thing to be in a place where it is safe to hitch hike. And the people are so nice there. A slice of heaven wedged into the telestial sea of humanity. So so lucky.
That, or you're just white =P
I would like to think that race has nothing to do with it; but if it does, that if fine with me.
ok you can stop rubbing our noses in the fact that we live in a socially screwed up nation. nah, you know i love it.
That's one sweet set-up you've got there! No worries over a vehicle of your own...if only, if only... ^_^
sounds like a fun place. I would stop in tonga but well.. im not even going in that direction anymore. see ya on campus when do you get back?
Cool story bro!
-Dave
Add a thought