July 23, 2005

Play away today!

Over the hill and accelerating:

How does one best put a week into words? The act is like sketching a photo; it is never a complete picture. However, I shall do my best to instill an understanding of what I have been accomplishing into those that actually read these reports.

Work at both places is progressing well. In light of being half done, I initiated reorientation meetings with both my workplaces to ensure that I was not loosing my direction. It was a short meeting at TongaSat that just showed that I was on track provided that I finish.

This week I finally started on the actually coding of the program. All this time before I have been learning Visual Basic, deciding upon the interface, and figuring out how to actually code it. I could of started a week or two ago, but I would not have been as planned and organized so the revisions necessary to make a good product would take just as much time in the end if not more time. Software engineering shows that quality planning increases the success of projects dramatically. Also at TongaSat, my computer has not yet been fixed which slows me because I don't have instant access to the resources and files on the internet that I frequently use. I will continue anyhow.

TonFon is the job that really needed the reorientation meeting. I find that TonFon is the place that I am learning the most due to the array of problems that seem to be constantly unhiding. At a large telecommunication company, it is expected to encounter problems daily. So we get to see numerous resolutions on the job, but also with the employees. I am most intrigued by the management practices and principles they utilize. This is part of the reason it is a great place to work and learn.

The reason this meeting was needed though was because Fa'e and I were watching and learning, yet not really accomplishing anything. We did small jobs and would shadow the employees; nothing special or helpful. However, after the meeting we had some things to do that they needed. For example: they are getting licenses for Microsoft Windows XP Pro and they need someone to re-image all the computers for their company. Not a job I mind doing and that way it is also a give-give relationship. They give us all this knowledge and this opportunity and we give them some of our time. I had to look on the internet for a good deal on Windows licenses since no one had or was going to do it. I gave them all the information I found and hope they use it so I can start reformatting late next week.

It looks like I have another chance to give my time to the people of Tonga. The women's center that Alisi and Ota are working at is having its grand opening in about two weeks. The fact came up that Fa'e and I can design websites and we were volunteered for the job. We mush wait on them to get the pictures, text, and an idea of what they want, but I hope to start soon because we don't have much time. They want it done by the grand opening so they can show the public. I should not be too tough; just more time out of our schedules.

I still do not have a Tongan girlfriend despite the request of a ward member. I only went to one dance within the week and possibly another one tonight. The Tonga verses Samoa rugby game is today so I am going; it should prove to be an enjoyable intense match. Tonga is indeed a great place to be living.

4 Thoughts:

At 3:56 PM, July 22, 2005, Blogger Su Chong added...

Oooo..rugby..vs Samoa too! That should be good. You have to tell Lua about how it went. She's been asking if you've been to any of the rugby games before. These are her 2 favotire things to do in Tonga - Dances & Rugby games. Keep us posted!

At 11:42 PM, July 22, 2005, Blogger E.Marie added...

wow your working hard arent ya. well be seeing ya later

At 2:10 PM, July 24, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous added...

Just contract your dad

At 3:07 AM, July 26, 2005, Blogger Shaleen added...

Glad to hear from you! Hope the game was fun!

Add a thought