The Aftermath
I would not let the members throw a farewell party for me. I gave them ice cream to eat after coordination that last Sunday as a small thank you, but then some of them wanted to have a speak or message. I halted that before it went to far. I had such a hard time packing that night. I would pack for a bit, then as I realized what was happening I would stop, shake my head, lay down a bit to gather the nerve to pack again. It was much harder than I thought. Then the next day when I actually arrived at the mission home, Andrew came with us, I was sort of out of it in a hyper/giddy mood. We went to the mission home and had interviews with President LeSueur. That was not like I anticipated. I know that I have always been too hard on myself so all the thing I did not do or accomplish weighted on my mind, but then as I reported that I had done nothing on my mission that required confession, answered his question about what principle of the gospel on meant more to me than before (my answer: the gift of the Holy Ghost), and just reflected on my mission, I felt such joy that one can only feel by the Holy Ghost because my mission has been amazing, indescribable, life-changing, more than I asked for. The Lord loves us more than we love ourselves and truly knows what is best for us. He truly is happy with our best, so although I have felt I could do better I look back with such gratitude. I have felt that love and gratitude more deeply the last few days.
So honestly, I was pretty worried or unease about seeing my parents again. I think it just meant the real closure to my beloved mission. Monday night I had a great talk with Elder Murray because I could not sleep, then Tuesday we awoke, had cereal for breakfast, and then President taught us of the joys of being self-reliant and an entrepreneur. It was such valuable information about hard work, time management, planning, education, etc... then we ate went to the american memorial where the Philippines was dedicated by Elder Hinckley. The thousands of men who gave their lives for the freedom of the Philippines hallowed that ground with a strong feeling that planted within me such humility, respect, and gratitude for those who made this work possible. When Elder Holland visited before, he mentioned with tear in his that the soldiers who died in that war were the same age as the missionaries, and even made this work possible for us now. I wondered why I was called to this mission while they were called to another; same age, different callings. I saw a mural of the battle of Saipan and for the first time cry as I told the story to President of the Japanese families jumping of the northern cliffs to flee the american soldiers. This put me in a solemn mood just before I went to meet my family at the temple.
Such an appropriate place for a family to meet after such service to the Lord. That night I was the first to bare my testimony after dinner. With such gratitude in my heart I quoted the scripture Mosiah 5:13 that a branch president pointed out to me. I explained how much more I now see in others the attributes of Christ and that be serving Him in this work, have come to know Him more than ever. I testified that He loves us in spite of our weaknesses and that by reading and praying about the Book of Mormon, we can know for ourselves if He is and if this is His. Expressing gratitude was inevitable especially to my beloved family. I was planning on spending that last night at the mission home with my batch mates, but after getting adjusted to my parents again, took my stuff and went home with them. We met a friend from BYUH on the way home. It was a fantastic day.
Wednesday, I talked a lot with my parents and went to a mall (I hate malls, such worldliness condensed into great and spacious buildings) where we met Andrew again. Let me just say that it was good that Dad was tired or he would have ripped Andrew apart for being so shy. Because mom and dad were tired Andrew and I went by ourselves to Bicutan, my 3rd area, and visited the Pareno family and the Jackson family. I heard there that the Mercado family that we taught for a while was being taught again. That night we had dinner with the Ko family (Elder Ko is in the area presidency). They we so much fun. We talked for nearly three hours.
The next day we headed down to Cavite where I had two areas. Mai Reyes a kind member I met from Silang let us use her car and even came with us. (Then life look free time and consumed the time Justin wanted to spend writing his story)
0 Thoughts:
Add a thought