June 11, 2008

June 11: We will remember

All of the best stories have fantastic conclusions. My mission has been the best I could imagine, but the conclusion seems too abrupt. I still cannot see it coming. A few weeks ago on a P-day I got a bit worked up and nervous because I thought too much of the afterlife, mainly the next mission (marriage), but now I have been praying to focus everyday and the Lord has again answered my prayers. Its a great story.

Yesterday, Elder Hyde who is now companions with Elder Walker and both are my batch, worked with me and although we were knocking on doors for two hours straight without success, our conversation did not hit on the afterlife. I would just hate to stain my mission now with laziness. I love it too much. Now there were times that I for sure could have given more, but the Lord has been patient with me and I will thank Him forever for His compassion and guidance.

Cathy Mercado is no longer sick, so she is back, but now wavering if she wants to continue. Lloyd is awesome. You will meet him. He just eats up every commitment without doubt. The Hidalgo family is back together so we are now teaching the kids and father. They should all be baptized within the next month.

I cried yesterday while teaching the Agnas family. We still have not yet met the father which means we cannot really continues because we don't baptized families without the father (the church does not grow that way). But Mary Jane, the mother, is really struggling because they were forced to live in a house beyond their financially capacity (I thought housing availability and conditions in Laie was bad, no comparison to Manila). Because of such, they cannot support their children in school and must send them to the province with relatives. The children's responds made us almost weep, "I don't care if I don't go to school, as long as I am here with you." We decided to teach her about prayer so the Lord can open the windows of heaven to them. She said the closing prayer pleading for help so that their family will not have to separate and after the prayer I doubt there was a dry eye, not even among her young children. We have asked for help from the members in searching for a cheaper place to live.

And now I don't know how to end it. I still have time left, but the emotion is still almost overwhelming. I just cannot thank the Lord enough! He has been so good to me and to my family. I love you all so very much and now see the crowning jewel of the gospel is found in His holy house where we obtain the assurance that we can be together forever. That means more to me than anything now. I know that He is. And thus are we, if we choose so.

See you soon. Love,
Elder Benson

0 Thoughts:

Add a thought