Apr 23: A web of stories
I feel like I have been surfing some great waves for some time now. Of course, I started out really slow and klutzy, but now I find it hard to believe there could be anything better than this right now. But then over the unseen horizon, whether it is a huge wave or change in weather, I not know, but I feel the anxiety of is approaching presences.
Regarding attending all of the session of zone conference, I am sure President LeSueur has always encourage such, but have had on occasion a zone leader who told us to attend only if it did not affect the work. Well, that time I was a bit confused because naturally it would affect the work so I missed the Saturday afternoon session. Other zone leader would just let us attend what we wanted. I told all the missionaries to attend all of the session, but still we had a companionship skip the Saturday afternoon session so they could work more. I was fascinated by the solemn assembly. It was my first time I think.
This week has been so full… It all started on Friday night when a recent convert that I am very close to, texted me, "I am tired. I am going to give up on everything." This text just scared the living daylights out of me, because for the last few days he had really been avoiding us missionaries, which was so odd, because we really are close. The first thing I did was text Bro. Dong, the second councilor of the University ward. Andrew would not accept my calls and seems void of hope from what he said in his texts. He said I would never see him again. I thought immediately of suicide. This started just before 10:30pm and for the next few hours I was texting him and Bro. Dong and praying like the world was about to end. We finally discovered he was not contemplating suicide so just before 2:00am the bishopric told me to go to bed. They were texting him to come down from his apartment and talk to them. I did not know when happened until he texted me the next morning still saying good bye. But he promised to write. So I was really surprised to see him walk into the church later that day while we were teaching. He sure looked like the world had been chewing on him. He had not plans to attend church again or even see us. I was so happy to then see him on Sunday. Apparently, word got around that something was up and many members approached, called, and texted him. He was a little surprised that so many people cared.
We tried to get him to work with us so we could go on exchanges. I had 9 interviews for baptism that night in Sta. Cruz, but only 3 passed. I felt more drained than Elder Acob who was the one going to all our appointments teaching the lessons. Naturally, the elders in Sta. Cruz were disappointed. Oh, I was actually late to the interviews because I dropped by Elder Sutcliffe at his apartment who had now been sick with a fever for a week now. I left them a form for them to go to the hospital. They did not attend church the next day nor did they attend their own baptism. Then just before district meeting on Tuesday morning where President would interview the missionaries, the assistants texted me to say that Elder Sutcliffe who was one of my two district leaders was in the hospital and thus would not be there. I was surprised because I had instructed him to text me each night to keep me updated. He did not report his key indicators Sunday night and apparently went to the hospital at midnight. So yesterday at district meeting I taught about the spirit in conversion and after asked President a question about contradiction in my mind that proved to be more profound then I imagined (I will explain later). So yesterday afternoon, we went on spilts again so I could visit Elder Sutcliffe and take him some stuff he needed and Elder Acob could teach our appointments. I really would have preferred to stay and teach, but he did not know the way to the elder's apartment. The recent convert I spoke of earlier was I companion so we had a good talk while wading through traffic. When I saw Elder Sutcliffe he looked terrible. They said that Sunday night he thought he might die and when he arrived at the hospital the nurses cheered when they pulled his temperature down from 39C (I calculated that last night 104F). So he will be there a few days. They don't know what it is yet. It could be malaria, dengue, typhoid, or something small like that. I will email his family for him later. I hope I have time.
We got back form the temple earlier and boy was it only the best session yet. I had asked President how a being not yet born (thus not yet resurrected and without body) could shake hands with another. Knowing what I was referring to, he told me to look at it more symbolically so earlier, I made more parallels than ever before; I felt new flats of understanding forming as I attended the temple. I know it was instruction through the spirit of revelation by which I received deeper insight. I love the temple so much. Once every 6 weeks in not enough. I cannot imagine how most members manage.
I tried to share those stories in a comprehendible manner, but it was hard with the multi-subject chronological threading. Just let it be known that I have had a great week and expect many more like it. Last night we taught Kathy, the student of a member who works part time at a college here, who had definitely felt the spirit while asking God. She and her friend, who also felt the spirit, had never felt anything like that and were almost afraid. They asked, "Why did just us feel it and why was in just now and not before in our lives'?". When I gave them the answer, "It is because you knocked", I could see in their faces the spirit still teaching them. Their third friend has not yet prayed, still does the sign of the cross after prayer, and not accepted the Word of Wisdom. The spirit can only work on fertile soil and she is just unbelieving.
The spirit sustains me and still directs me to make changes to become better. Oh how blessed we are the have the gift of the spirit. So the recent convert I mentioned was considering leaving the church, but was reminded that if he left, the spirit would likewise leave him. In talking to him about it, he told me, "I don't want to lose the spirit." He is almost past that trial now because of supportive friends and loving leaders, but I sure do agree with him. I never want to lose the spirit from my life. I love you all more because of it.
0 Thoughts:
Add a thought