Mar 26: Beauty in busy
Where shall I begin? Last Wednesday, Elder Thorne and I worked with the Assistants. That was fun, especially to see Elder Hyde from my batch. I worked with Elder Ray who worked with me the first day of his mission while I was waiting to be assigned to Elder Perry.
On Friday, we learned that we would spend the next few days with another missionary from our zone. These would only be the last days of Elder Thorne's mission. This made it difficult to arrange such exchanges for the other missionaries. After a few other challenges and surprises, Easter was amazing. We had 6 deaf investigators, 2 deaf members, and 1 deaf very new member come to church. That is right Kathy was baptized just on Saturday, then on Sunday, she was confirmed.
So apparently, my sign language is coming out all right, because I translated for most the baptism. It was a cool service. Kathy is very active and is integrating into the ward quickly. I saw her last night playing some tag game with the singles ward. If I remember correctly dad, you know a bit of sign language. Is that right? I realized that the signs here are mostly the same, with just a few exceptions. Back to the topic: My favorite translation was for the confirmation. Naturally, I was a bit worried, because when we translate talks, we leave out a lot and just reteach the point of the talk, but for confirmation, there are specific blessing and she should not what is blessed upon her head. I stood up near the front, said a little prayer first and then began to translate as fast as I could with my eyes closed tight so I could not see myself frantically signing the blessing. Miraculously, I was able to sign every important thing he said. That was an amazing blessing.
So Monday, I worked with Elder Desear in his area, because my companions and another elder had interviews with President and Elder Desear was being transferred. While he packed I cleaned their filthy house. We got back later that night, had a Tim-Tam Slam with us four elders and the next morning said goodbye to Elder Thorne who just honorably finished his mission. A few hours later we said goodbye again at the mission home because he forgot all his ties. Then I almost saw him later that night because Elder Romney (the elder I was with) was just informed that he too would be honorable returning home because of medical problems. So I spent the night at the Assistances' apartment with some of the going home elders. It was good to see Elder Murray again (my companion from the MTC and the current financially office elder). So now I am back in my area, with two companions temporarily while waiting for the replacement of Elder Romney. I was trilled to discover Elder Acob (my previous companions who I follow-up trained) is not my current companion and Elder Lagana who is waiting for a permanent companion. So much is happening here, and I love it all.
1 Thoughts:
Hey, Elder Benson. It seems like you have come a far way in the mission. Your experience doing sign language is a blessing from the Lord. I had a similar experience on my mission as well. One of my areas had a lot of less active deaf people. I was surprised at how fast the sign language came, as you are probably surprised at how fast you learned it. I am very impressed with your growth and I know the Lord is blessing your service.
On another note, I remember having Tim-Tam Slams with you guys. It brings a smile on my face to know that you are still doing that.
Well, my wife and I are in Taiwan now, teaching English. It is really fun and stressful at the same time. Mainly because we are teaching kids. Well, talk to you later.
-Bryan Kubricht
Add a thought