January 31, 2007

Jan 31: Too soon!

Joy is sweet in the service, although it might be trying at times.

I have spent a wonderful last week with my companion, Elder Lopez, who is from Cebu and came to the mission a month or so after me. His charity and happiness was such a blessing is a possibly very difficult time. The Roxas area I feel has been blessed because of hard work, obedience, and desire; certain not because of skill.

Sunday would have to be the most rewarding for me. After learning how to more effectively get investigators to church, I put it to practice and saw the results. I awoke not feeling to well, but in our prayer before we left the house felt impressed to cash in one of the blessings from the Word of Wisdom, that I would walk and not faint. It really was not that bad, but I did have loose bowels and an unfriendly stomach. We dropped by the Garano family before church to rouse the drunken father and then Eric the son of our Branch Mission Leader to remind him to pick up the family he introduced us to. Upon arriving at church we found an awesome young man, whose parents are not active, preparing the sacrament alone. It pleases me to see people eagerly fulfilling there calling.

We had a great number of investigators come to church again, many new and because of member help. Sister Rom particularly was joyous to see because she is always so busy and has about six young children. The only reason she came was the night before, Saturday, we visited her after correlation and asked Nanay Rose to invite her to church and then pick her up. We have not really been able to teach Sister Rom (or Brother Rom) for a while and it seemed as if they were fallen away. Nanay Rose was the perfect person to bring and the spirit made the plan execute smoothly.

I ended up teaching Gospel Essentials (which we moved downstairs for the first time because it was too crowded above) because Brother Bong, the Branch Mission Leader, who is a new member got cold feet. Next week daw. I was help by the spirit there in spite of no preparation. Elder Lopez being nervous about teaching Elder’s Quorum (his first time to teach such a class) got lucky and the EQ Pres had somehow prepared a lesson from the new English manual without really knowing English. I was not so fortunate last week with my EQ lesson, but that when fine. It brought me joy to see the branch starting to show signs of growth. The practically nonexistent EQ class before now had people looking up the scriptures, thinking, and answering questions. For the last month I have just tried to make EQ the best I could with the little power I posses, so it was a blessing to see things sprout.

Midway through EQ my illness started catching up to me, but was blessed to hold out happily until church ended and the investigators left. At this time I so wanted to throw up and was just waiting in some of the conversations with the members. Another quick happy note: about three or so people asked if they would work with us later that day, but due to my condition told them, “bukas na lang”.

I did not vomit, although a got noticeable pale so the members sent me home. The first sick day I have taken on my mission. Choy when worked with Elder Lopez and Eric stayed at the house with me. I had a bit of a fever and to help Choy prepare for his mission, had him give me a blessing, which was his first time to seal. I felt so blessed to see the fruit of our hard work at getting people to church and the branch growing. Especially that I was given enough strength until I got home. It also gave Elder Lopez a chance the get familiar with the area.

I slept in a bit the next day, Monday, and then had enough energy to work. We took a break a dinner although I did not eat. I was lying on my bed pondering my blessings. I felt I would be transferred the next day and thus have more responsibility to bear. The warning text came that night and was again reaffirmed yesterday at transfer meeting. I was able to visit a number of the investigators we were teaching to express my love and commitment to the gospel and bare my testimony one last time. Just a hand full of members were able to bid farewell, so this morning I took the 5:00 shuttle again to Puerto to board the plane and flew the Manila.

Fear and worry fortunately flee from hope, love, and the spirit. I am now in Upper Bicutan, Parañaque with Elder Acob from Paniqui Tarlac, Philippines. He is an excited kind young missionary and I am confided we will do great here.

I thank you for all your prayers that have helped me overcome discouragement and temptation. I know I cannot do this alone, and I have never felt so confident in the Lord’s work.

0 Thoughts:

Add a thought