Dec 12: Truth is light
The holiday season is coming but we have felt it since September. That is right, starting in September or October we start singing Christmas songs. I did not want to tell you all yet because it felt it was too premature, but I had a guy give me the Christmas countdown starting before day 100 in my first area. Now I am accept it and get excited with December actually here. I am most excited about being able to call and talk to you. That or the Branch Christmas party they planned during EQ/RS the previous week.
For the last week or so I have been devouring the Conference Ensign that we finally received. I can’t believe how much I missed while watching it, and this last conference was the one where I was most couscous. One talk that I seemed to have forgotten was an answer to an unsaid prayer. Most people that know me know that I am quite reflective, so naturally that has been the case on my mission – analyzing, planning, expecting. Sometimes I am a bit harder on myself than I should be, so in reading this talk, “The Great and Wonderful Love”, I was once again reminded to try my best, retain righteous desires, and I will progress and become who God wants. I am so grateful to have a loving Heavenly Father who has revealed his plan to us through prophets. This takes me to another story.
Just earlier today, I was enjoying my three hour trip back to Puerto for district meeting and a young white lady gets on in the middle of the country. This is quite strange first of all, and then with limited seating (although they pack it too well sometimes) they seem to try to give white people a better seat so they put her near the front right next to me! I was fine with it because sitting really close to people is just something that happens here. I read my conference ensign for a bit although I should have slept being up before my 6:30AM limit, and then she after looking at some travel papers asked what day it was in a European accent. She was French visiting the Philippines for the holidays and naturally I turned the talk to religion. She is culturally Catholic although more agnostics. He may be the first person I have met on my mission who does not just assume that God exists. I take that back, one other previous who was also from Europe, but our talk was much shorter. In talking to the lady I realized a few things.
Living life without knowing that a loving God exists and He has a plan for us is like eating sugar when you cannot taste. It is horrible to think that this is it. Even if one may believe in God and not understand His plan for us, it would be easy to see him as unjust or senseless. I repeat that I am so grateful to be a member of this church to know the Plan of Salvation and be able to receive comfort and guidance by the Holy Ghost that I received after baptism.
I will let rest my other insights to share about my investigators with you. It was not been the best week of my mission so I have not share too much about our investigators. It is sufficient to say these things. The humble yet encumbered Garano family has had it rough with children problems, and then this week, just before his baptism (the father), he drank because his kids will not change. He was to change is life but is finding it hard. One thing was that he has not been reading the scriptures as we’ve asked him to do. Then another humble eager man, Rolland Santa Cruz, who is friends with the councilor in the branch presidency, we found drinking last night at the councilor’s house (while he was there!) and then blamed it on a personal problem.
I need not share this news because despite the little bumps, the work will move forward. That I know. This week will be better if we continue working hard. Dips seem to always be followed by spikes; such is life. The work his sweet because we offer the sweet savor of sugar to those peoples lives’ that know not it even exists. I am grateful to be serving in this most worthy cause.
0 Thoughts:
Add a thought