December 19, 2006

Dec 19: Pasko na, share

“Faith is not about what the Lord can do for you, but what you can do for the Lord.” That is one of our mission themes I guess to you call it. I did not quite understand it at first, taking it as substituting faith with hard work. However, now I realized that hard work is really a prerequisite.

Just last night, I had a rather moving experience. On Sunday, we when on exchanges with our masipag branch members. I planned to drop by the house of a recent convert widow who has four children. When I arrived she was tearfully talking with two of the women, therefore, I did not want to interrupt. The situation was not appropriate for me because I did not feel the spirit, a woman was crying, and there was not another man around to enter the house with. I did however say that I would return the next day, know that she was in some type of distress, and that I have the responsibility to help if I can. Last night I was able to return with our great second councilor, Pres. Nunez, who is a barangay captain. We arrived there after dark there; they live on the beach and usually have their lights on ask I recall, but not this time. I worry that they were not home (her daughter will be baptized soon and we do not visit them as much as we would like). However, when I shined my little lighter flashlight into the house, I found them just sitting there in the dark. Then the story came: The power was out because she had not paid her bill. She was a month behind on her rent, without food (here being without food means no bigas or in English rice). I felt rather helpless in one way because as missionaries we can give no support in that way. On the other hand, I felt the power the Christ’s mercy in action, knowing that if we do our part God will provide. I gave my part, the only food I had on me, two little hard candies. There were three kids there so I gave it to the first two nearest to me. I was touch as I saw the middle child bit the candy in have and give that portion to the remaining infant. Then even more so as I realized that although the littlest child may be hungry, instead of crying it was rolling and smiling; of such really is the Kingdom of Heaven. I doubt that the girl gave it a second thought to share with her youngest sister. I then did what I can to do: reach out with the love and hope that I know and teach to bring comfort and love to this humble family. The sister apparently had drunk a little the previous day, so after the lesson about Alma in his afflictions I made it clear that the Lord want so bless you, but you must do your part and place faith in him – in every way. Excluding that un-evaded dart of the adversary, she is as true as I could ask for. Peace is in my heart concerning them because they are in God’s hand.

The young and promising Rolland Santa Cruz is progressing as well as hoped. We just need to get his wife on the band wagon now. The Garano family is still having struggles, but such is life until we have proven our faithfulness in all things. Until then for them, we hard there to instruct, love, and inspire them to walk the strait path. The work will now move faster as I push harder.

I love you all and wish I could share about my impromptu talk in sacrament last week or the other wonderful people I have met, but time is pressing. Enjoy the holidays and remember why we celebrate, and then do as he would by reaching out to one who needs to feel his love.

Merry Christmas to you all,
Elder Justin Benson

0 Thoughts:

Add a thought