December 28, 2006

Dec 28: Season to remember

Maligayang Pasko sa inyong lahat! I am aware the Christmas has now passed but that is a little weird for me because this Christmas has been unlike any other before, and probably unlike any other I will have. Although we have been singing Christmas songs for the last few months it did not feel like previous years without the family. The caroling here is quite interesting. It is doing primarily for month. Kids with bottles and cans stand outside of houses making Christmas noise and are only satisfied when they receive some sort of compensation. Christmas trees are almost unseen here which was not too surprising, but then neither was Santa. The highlight of Christmas here is when the family gets together the night before to play games, talk story, and eat.

My Christmas went as such: The day before Christmas Eve was disappointingly slow. We went to a funeral early that morning, tracked, taught a Baptist Preacher. That was exciting. We have hope for him, but he would have to give up his trabaho. We made it back a bit late so our labandera was a bit upset. Then we rushed to the baptism and ended up waiting three hours with some of the members until the other guy showed up. After getting our pants completely wet by being witnesses in the ocean, we returned home to quickly change and then went to the meeting that no one else attended. Visiting investigators the rest of the night, I kept my spirits high.

The next day, Sunday, the couple missionaries attended church with us and we asked to talk upon arriving. I am not sure if their other speakers fell through, but the Worleys did a great job. I was quite happy also that they brought with them two packages for me just in time for Christmas. We ate lunch with the Worleys after church and I opened one of my packages. It was an awesome package, full of cheese, ties, pictures, and letters. I saved the one from my family until later that night and the next morning.

The Christmas spirit here is much different. First of all and most gratefully, it is not fully of advertisements and things to buy. Many people attended the late Christmas mass while others spent the evening with friends and family eating and drinking. One memorable visit we had was with the Garano Family. One reason is that in spite of not having much, they feed us and then, since I am sometimes bashful concerning food at people’s houses, compelled us to eat more. Then afterwards, we went with the family to the small local prison, made of wood and barbed wire, to visit their son who was detained again the night before for something he did not do. It was a somber place to spend Christmas Eve, especially for the son, Tonton Garano, who began to cry as my companion spoke to him about the importance of following the commandments to avoid sadness. I just smiled at him and expressed my love for him, realizing the he already was feeling pretty bad. We left and I could not help, but think about how blessed I was to be raised in the church with such a wonderful family. That night my companion called him family, while I wrote in my journal and look out at the stars.

The next morning, Christmas day, we awoke early to take the shuttle down to Puerto Princesa for a missionary breakfast, and I opened my remained presents. On the shuttle I took a wonderful Christmas book my family made for me and a number of letters I received to read on the long trip. When we arrived I was able to help fix Pres. Deros truck with a basketball hoop bolt and a plastic pull-tie thing. We ate tons of good food and watched “It’s a Wonderful Life”. We returned back to Roxas in time to catch the end of our branch Christmas party. In the gift exchange, the one I was to give my gift to was not there, and I am received a gift from one of the young women who was mad that I had nothing to give to her. That was an interesting situation. More people attended the party then I have ever seen at church. It was a blast.

I am now writing this email on Thursday because we did not have district meeting on Tuesday and therefore not in Puerto and yesterday the trusty internet in Roxas was down so we worked more yesterday so we could take some time today to email.

Christmas here was a good experience, but of everything I’ve seen, I realize that the gospel is what really gives meaning to life. This has strengthen my conviction to worry less about post-mission life and give all I can now so that my short time here will be spent in joyous service of God and man. I love the Gospel and I am grateful to each one of you for your love and prayers. Peace on earth and good will to men.

0 Thoughts:

Add a thought