November 28, 2006

Nov 28: Ten is a lot

The life of being in an extremely remote area: Every week we take a three hour trip (one way to Puerto Princessa) for district meeting in which we are usually carring two or three packages or have some sort of assignment from the branch. Last week we had to bring extra baptismal clothes because of our amazing baptism on Sunday. We also kind of have two P-Days: one on Wednesday where we can relax, study, play, or sleep; and the other after district meeting in town where we are shopping, using internet, and other stuff city business. It is great for member work because only some people have daily jobs, so we have a large choice of members than can work with use, even during the middle of the day.

It is sad that Elder Neilson got sick and left for Manila that day, for him, but for me we had ten people baptized on Sunday (which is a lot, although three of them were members’ children) and I have had the last week to get to know them. Even though I just arrived, they still had me baptize half of the people (mostly the kids, which is fine for me). There is such power is correctly using the Priesthood. Our small chapel is getting remodeled in Roxas so we even got to go into the ocean to baptize them! on a Sunday! The service took a long time because there were ten people, we had to relocate to the ocean halfway in the middle, the speakers gave really long scripted talks, and to baptize the people we had to walk out like 300 feet because the water was too shallow. It was funny because I really did not know who I was going to baptize – we just choice when we were out there – but the branch president got a picture with me and his son who was going to be baptized (why he did not baptize his son himself, I know) which gave me a clue that I would be the one baptizing him. Yet he has known my companion longer. Maybe it is a luxury to be baptized by a foreigner.

My new companion, Elder Japhet Batosin, is from Negros, Oriental. This is his first time to be senior so it is interesting to see him now make the decisions he wants. It is like he has been planning on what he wants and does not want when he becomes a senior. He does not cook has much or as good at Elder Masangcay, but he works hard and is excellent with the members.

I hope to be in Roxas for a while despite the inconveniences. This may mean I will be transferred quickly. I love the work and hope to be the missionaries I imagine I can be some day. I will turn into something alright so long as I rely on the Lord.

0 Thoughts:

Add a thought