Nov 15: Limber lips now
Amazing! This week I feel like my language ability has turned around over night; especially with comprehension. I can say what I need to say, but naturally it is hard to process what I want to say and then put that out in Tagalog, but it will come in time. Concerning understanding though: discounting my fairly limited vocabulary, I can understand almost everything people are saying now, if I am listening and paying attention.
At church this last Sunday, we had two longtime inactives come. One a binata (single guy), Robert Evina, who had Bro. Luis pick him up so he would come, and the other a father and daughter who came after the third or forth week of inviting him back. Elder Hogan has been trying to reactive him since before I got here so it is wonderful to see life changing and turning to Christ, even those who have already accepted Him but turned fell away. In addition, three other binatas came to church who are living with a member family. Gospel essentials class was pretty full.
Ann Baccay, the katulong (house help) that is staying with a member, just was baptized on Saturday. She was late as well as our Branch Mission Leader who was baptizing, but other than that it was great. The young women did a great musical number and then we and a couple of leaders helped out the young men.
Here is a little catch-up on the food I have experienced. For the most part, I have not had any problems. It had not been too gross or even strange. I am not sure if I expected worse so it is not so bad or I am just now able to eat whatever. I have not had dog here because it is bawal or forbidden for missionaries, nor balut. I have had this weird blood stuff that was very likely bawal. I was at a member’s house, Bro. Luis, and in preparation for transfers, pretty sure that Hogan would be leaving, they made us a little meal, snack, or here called a marienda. This is a family that is not well of at all, that we see the kids eating rice and soy sauce when we come. But they made us a tasty treat and I at a little bit of each, making sure to leave leftovers for the kids after. Bro. Luis told us what everything is and then pointed to this black substance said “Puwede sa akin, pero hindi ko alam sa inyo”, meaning “this is ok for me, but maybe not for you”. With that little doubt and not really understanding everything anyway, I dished some up as Elder Bondad made a hesitant sound, but then got some for himself after. I ate that stuff which tasted like salty seaweed and was latter informed that it was some kind of blood food, and that yes it was bawal. Other than that I had this weird stuff that our labendera made that was stomach, intestines, or something else which was edible yet the texture was not to my liking.
Our white guy has asked for a week to think about things so we will be going back tonight. Our earnest little man John did not come to church because of his family in town, but is still on course to be baptized if his family agrees. Bro. Constantino has been out about every time we have stopped by and Bro. Gelido needs to be a bit more humbled to realize what he so desperately needs.
0 Thoughts:
Add a thought