Week 4: Joy in Work
This last Fast-Sunday, I prayed and fasted for the Gift of Tongues and Interpretation of Tongues. The Lord is really blessing me. I cannot say everything I want, but I noticed that even on Sunday, my comprehension was better. Sentences come out much easier than just last week. My time here has not been long yet so I have much more progress to make, but it brings me joy to know that I am progressing.
I may of said that in the MTC I prayed for the best companion I could get; one that I could learn from and get along with. This prayer was answered. My companion, Elder Hogan, is great. I don’t think there have been any problems. He is from the South (moved around a bit) and his dad works for the FBI. He is the kind of guy that likes to stick close to him family so it was funny that he was sent out here. He has only been out for about eight months. He works hard, but is not a Pharisee about the rules.
A mission is much different than I thought, so is the Philippines. It really is an awesome place here. I am very grateful to be here in Palawan although I know I will eventually make it to the city. My area in Palawan is the city party. We could walk across my area in a day so it is not too big. I will spare the loose of interest and talk about why I am here.
Yesterday could have easily been the best day I have had. We had district meeting that thought me a lot, but the lessons and the people we talked to make it so spectacular. Our first appointment was Ann, a dalaga and katulong I think (young girl and househelp). She was referred by a member and we are teaching her at their house. Her Uncle is a member already. So this was just a follow up and we also talked about the WoW. We asked her how her reading and praying was going – this is were we have the biggest problems because people will be nice by letting us into their house, but when we teach and tell them to read and pray, they may read and not pray or just do neither. She was a bit shy about it but basically said that she had a good feeling about it. Shear joy for her testimony was blooming before my eyes and God has blessed me with the pagkakataon (chance, opportunity) to see this precious experience.
Another binata (bachelor) living in humility struggled with reading, but when we asked him how he felt about the Book of Mormon he said, “Magaan sa kaloob” (light inside). I could not help but feel the same way. Yet another man, Jaunito Marelo – this time married – who is the barongay captain for his village was struggling with himself because he knows that he should give up alak (beer), cock fighting, and big parties because then he would loose his next election. He knows the book is good and that he needs to be baptized. I pray that he has the faith to do what he needs.
Our other appointment was from this man (we don’t remember is name which is a horrible thing, I know) who let us in reluctantly only after he realized he was turning us down in ignorance. We taught him about the apostasy, prophets, and the Restoration and the truth reached into his heart and reminded him of what was in there. God does have a plan for us. He has not left us without direction in our life. We can know exactly what we need to do to return to him. He will confirm this through the spirit if we seek it. And one of my favorite is that we can have the companionship of the Holy Ghost with us as long as we are worth and if we receive it with the proper authority.
Sickness has eluded me because I am doing God work. I say this not to imply that I am invulnerable, but recognized that I have been blessed. I have been extremely blessed and I know that I don’t deserve it. I cannot repay it, however, I can try one day at a time though by following the simple things that God has commanded us to do. The cause is great and the reward greater.
0 Thoughts:
Add a thought