MTC Week 5: Open your mouth
I have never been to such good firesides or devotionals. They are truly the best! My favorite part about the devotionals is that afterwards we meet as a district and bare our testimonies and get to talk about what touched us or what we learned. The spirit is usually the strongest in that meeting because we all know each other. We know what we are trying to improve. And we all love each other. I have said it before, but I have the best district I know. Let me just talk about them for a bit.
First there is my companion, Elder Murray, from Utah/Washington going to Manila. He is a tall guy that used to be shy, but has overcome that a couple of years ago and is now ever social and patient. I am still trying to be his best friend, but I have not completely figured it out. The one holding me back is myself. There is so much that I need to learn.
Our district leader is Elder Hyde who is a stellar guy going to Manila also. He has earned the respect of the entire district and really brings everyone together. He is from Utah and was doing roofing with his dad before coming on his mission. He is very easy to make friends with and reminds me of my brother sometimes.
His companion is Elder Lindsey who is also from Utah and going to San Pablo. He was actually born in South America is some small village but he was adopted and his village was destroyed by a mud slide. He comes from a family with about eight siblings – all adopted – and he was really into swords, weapons, and fighting. He is also awesome and it is funny sometimes when he makes violent threats. We are all in a room together.
The other elders in our district in the next room are Elder Beazer and Blankenbuhler. I have no idea how to spell his name, but he is so cool. He is from California, has a slow deep voice, sleeps in class the most, does not talk much, but he says the funnies things. He is also a really smart guy and knows a lot about the scriptures, but he does not work as hard as he could. He has a lot of potential. Elder Beazer is from Utah and is an easy guy to get to know. He is very patient and supportive of his companion.
We also have three awesome sisters in our district, and they seem like real sisters. They encourage and tease me and I do the same thing back to them. We have a great friendship, partly because I sit by them in class everyday so when my companion is not being as social I talk with them or work with them. Sister Moleni is from Tonga, going to San Pablo, and it is funny because I probably saw here a bit at BYUH and I knew two of her brothers – one of which is John who use to live in the next room. Sister Svedi is from California I think, going to Manila, and she is the most social and has a joyful spirit. It is a threesome so the last sister is Sister Keeling from Utah going to San Pablo.
Our teachers are Bro. Wyatt and Sister Olsen. They are the best possible teachers we could have received. I would talk about them more but there are other things I want to say. Let it suffice that I really respect them and I am grateful that they are my teachers. My bishop is Pres. Lant and the husband of the General Primary President for the church. He is one of the most dignified and respectable men I know.
That is my district in a nutshell. There is really so much more about them; so many reasons why I have grown to love each of them, but I have learn other important lessons as well. This email is lengthy and I have not talked about what is important to me yet. That is the gospel.
Over the past couple weeks I have realized how bad I have been at sharing the gospel with friends or people I know or knew. This gospel is the most important thing I have and it is the greatest gift I have been given. However, I have been selfish and unsharing. The least I can do is let people I know how I feel and the blessings I have received. God has told us, “open your mouth” and at least try. I have not even done that. Just last night we were told that we should not let anyone we meet for a substantial period of time go without us at least share something we know with them. I plan on being much better about this especially after my mission.
I love the Lord and love all of you. I am grateful for you prayers and support.
Elder Justin Benson
0 Thoughts:
Add a thought