August 17, 2006

Palawan Week 1: Green but feeling great

The travel has been crazy. We were told to were our suits the entire trip so I felt cramped in my small suit and then I smelt horrible when I finally got there because of the sweet and body odor. The trip was rather uneventful accept I was able to place a couple of referral cards in the airport and even better give a man a Book of Mormon that I bought before I left the MTC. He accepted it and committed to read and pray about it. When I arrived, without much notice each mission went their separate ways and we eventually got taken to the mission home where we met President and Sister LeSueur. The new trainers were there so we all ate together, were interviewed, were updated on briefed on the mission, and then divided up into our new companions.

I was called up first. I had taken notice of the possible trainers there and had my hopes on a couple of possibilities, but remained correctable. President had me stand next to him as he announced my trainer. I was happy, hopping, and waiting until he said that mine was not here. Because I will be serving in Palawan!!! That made me so excited because I am not a big city person and Palawan is the choice area in the Manila Mission. It is super rural but I will be serving in the “city” of Palawan, Puerto Princesa. My companion is Elder Hogan who everyone says in the nicest elder, which I believe because I have been praying for the best trainer. I really want one that I can love.

That night I went out tracking with so missionaries in some city where we met two new families. The first lesson I bore my testimony in and the second one I just snoozed through. It was ok because after they said “jet lag lang”. At 9:00 the office elders picked me up and we went back to the mission office where I was to pack for my fight going to Palawan tomorrow. I had two bags both 50 lbs they just made to weight restriction to come here and then I was informed that I could have only one carryon and one check of less then 44 lbs or 20 kg. I did not have much time to pack either so as I am emailing here I don’t know if I have everything I need for the next potentially 6 months or more if I am good.

I get to bed at 11:00 in the assistants and office elders apartment and awoke at 4:00 to prepare for my flight. The sleep was fine, but short. I didn’t weight my bag before so I was worried and had not pesos yet, but I received a blessing from being a missionary. My bag was only 19.8 kg! Then I saw a girl I knew from BYUH. I saw her around, but forgot her name. She was on an internship here. I met other missionaries flying out to other missions and I and another elder placed a Book of Mormon.

I got on my flight and landed on this awesome small airport that reminded me of the Chuuk airport. There were little huts and close lines on the outskirts of the runway. It is a great place. I got out and met my companion who is from Texas or the South. He has been out for about 8 months on Palawan for 3 months. I am extremely excited and eager to get to work and really try to learn the language. We have one of the nicest apartments in the mission surprisingly and we are about to go eat at JolliBees or some other restaurant.

Time to get to work, so take care I love you all and it will be a bit harder to sent out letters. I can only email my family too. My spirit is willing, my desire strong, and hopefully I will not too tired.

0 Thoughts:

Add a thought