Apr 11: Eternal families
Sweet memories are being made as I give my heart and time to this work. This last week has been full of many fond experiences. This includes that many families we are teaching, a great interview with the Mission President, and then General Conference.
The last fast Sunday, we fasted for the Parreno family who we have been preparing for baptism. The wife and three children were taught almost two years ago, but never got baptized because of spouse permission and lack a testimony. So when we fasted for them two Sundays ago, they did not come to church, although we has two or three nearby member families helping out. This almost made us give up on them, and the fact that they have been reading and praying a while now, but still have not received an answer. Bro. Parreno will be returning to sea again soon so we can wait to long or it will be a really long time. This last week we were so happy when they came to conference without being pushed. The every talk in the session they attending seemed to be just the topic that would help them get on the right track towards baptism; the Bible, Families (Divorce), the Holy Ghost, etc… I loved the talk by Elder Eyring on working now, service, and not to wait for ‘some day’. This week we have given the family a fast track towards baptism (in three weeks because they have not WoW problems and attended church twice now). I have so happy the see their wonderful kids get baptized.
Another great family who is really dear to my heart because I was the one who made first contact is the Mercado family. They have 5 of the cuties little kids; Bro. Danny is a taxi driver who has a strong morals (committed to give up smoking right away because it is a commandment), while Sis. Hazel stays home with the kids all day taking care of them, reading, and watching TV. They were not able to come to conference last week because Danny got home from driving after it started, but this week he already committed to just come home Saturday night.
There are two other promising families that we are hoping on also: Orbe family and Algordo family. Orbe is a great family with many children. The father stopped attending his church when the two-year-old daughter he really loved died. They just sell vegetables on the side of the road each day, and last week his child was sick thus did not come to conference. The mother in the Algordo family says she is actually a member, but fell away when she stopped coming with her friends. They have many children as well but sell food at the Catholic Church every Sunday which mean we will be teaching Sabbath Day next.
Allan Jackson works with us a few times each week for most of the day. He is now a strong member in our struggling ward. We are teaching other people, but I am a family focused guy so I will let you know when something comes of the others we are teaching.
Last Thursday, President LeSueur came to our district meeting and naturally interviewed each of the elders and sisters. In the interview he taught, told inspiring stories applicable to my questions, talked about the district, and gave me almost the same advise that Bro. Roach, a councilor from my MTC Branch Presidency, gave before I left the MTC more than six months ago now: basically, not to be too hard on myself. Then he communicated to me some of the most touching compliments I have received on my mission. The success of my mission will never be determined by what he says or does not say, but it was a blessing to hear that he was happy with the work I am doing. The spirit speaks peace and comfort to me encouraging me forward, but it was also good to hear it from a man I respect and admire.
General Conference was great again then we went to the temple again earlier today (the first session was a little too early to learn as much as I want so maybe next month a difference time). In all, it has been a great week and I am especially grateful for the companionship of the Holy Ghost; not to mention each of you prayers. My mission is better than ever, and I love this gospel so much.
0 Thoughts:
Add a thought