Apr 25: Big surprise
Oh, mother, Nathan dropped by on Sunday as you know and it felt like a dream. I did not take pictures as I should have. It was great to see him because I love you all so very much. A mission really deepens a man's love for his family. There is just so much work and sacrifice so while we strive to spend every moment thinking of others and the Lord, the truly important things in life become more visible. I love my companion as much as ever. I did not get transferred as I thought I might which makes me very happy because we will be baptizing two families in the next month and in a year when they can go to the temple, I will still be here!
Let me start with another family we were really hoping on – that still may be baptized. The Orbe family is a large family of five young kids who make a living from selling vegetables on the road. Just yesterday I heard they started putting a door on their small cave-like house. Naturally they seem to always have some sickness or another so they have had many excuses for not coming to church. Last week we dropped by them Saturday night to ensure they came to church the next day. The father was out but we had Bro. Veron working with us so we when in to talk to the wife. Basically, their two year-old was not sick (a hot fever for a few days and stomach pains). We have been teaching them a while now and they had not really progressed so they needed to come to church or we would have to drop them. We loved them and wanted to help. We felt the spirit and decided to give the child a Priesthood blessing. We know that a lot depended on mom's faith so we told them to read the Book of Mormon, pray, thank God, and prepare to come to church and her child would be healed. On Sunday, however, they were not there. We later visited them again to find that they did not read or pray that night, consequently, the kids was not healed before church, but later that afternoon, the child was fine. God kept his promise to heal the child according to our faith, but they lacked the faith for the child to be healed on time.
Another little miracle, after first being taught two years ago, we gave Parreno family and ultimatum that they needed to tell us if they were to be baptized on Saturday or not. They said they would tell us on Monday. They came to church which was necessary for their baptism. We have been praying for them night and day for the last two weeks. We felt that the parents may be fine (a unclear testimony), but then they express concern about their kids being baptized with them. So on Monday night we hard a fun Family Home Evening at Sis. Milay's house where they mentioned they are going through with it and returned on Last night to ensure the kids would join them. We watched "On The Way Home" which ended up being the best movie for them. The spirit was especially strong in the part talking about eternal families. My companions ended up sobbing as he talked about his family, and then asked if the kids wanted to be baptized also. They agreed and my companion and I soared home last night. We are happy for the prospect to see them in the temple sealed as a family before we finish our missions.
Another great family that I found a while ago is the Mercado family. I found them one night with Elder Acob as I saw a cute kid while my companion was buying bananas. I said just what I saw and looked up to see a happy father and his mother. I testified of the importance of families to God and they gave us their address for us to return another day. After weeks of missing Danny, the father, off and on, when Elder Perry came we got a hold of them and finally got them progressing. After teaching the Word of Wisdom, the father said, "I will stop smoking, because it is a commandment of God." It is a rare gift to have such faith. They did not come to church two Sundays ago because Danny had to drive his taxi. However, last Sunday, after they really committed to come to church, on Friday Danny got fired because a police man pulled him over, took his money (without giving him a violation) and his license. Because he could not pay the required fee to his boss (about 10 dollars), he was fired. It mad us so happy to seem them at church. I don't know if it was a blessing to lose his job or not. Would he have come to church if not? I don't know though that they will be blessed as they show their faith through obedience. We are praying that he finds another job so they don't have to move or what. I don't know how they survive, but I know they will be blessed for their faith.
After a few weeks of no referrals, we started praying more sincerely to then receive a small flood just in the last week. God truly answers the prayers of the faithful. The mission president called the elders to repentance earlier today so they we can continue to progress in the mission, but then afterwards as I shook his hand said that it did not apply to me. I did feel a little bad for my brother's visit because just weeks ago he specifically brought that rule up to me. I love you all so very much. Nathan I was so glad to see you. I will not give the next year to the Lord as I want to really show Him my love and appreciation for the numerous gifts I have been given. I know that Christ lives and loves us each more than we know. There is not hesitation to sacrifice this short period of time for Him. I will do better than I have ever done before because I have nothing to worry about at home. You are all taken care of and for that I am grateful.
0 Thoughts:
Add a thought